Every once in a while, a gadget like the the Amazon Echo is developed that changes how we do things.
Think back to the Fitbit. When it was created, most of the world didn’t walk around counting their steps. Today, you’ll be hard pressed to find a person who isn’t wearing some sort of fitness tracking device.
Now, the Amazon Echo isn’t necessarily new technology. But it is a new combination of technologies – and it’s quite a lot of fun.
What is the Amazon Echo?
Amazon Echo is a wireless speaker and voice command device from Amazon.com. The device consists of a 9.25-inch (23.5 cm) tall cylinder speaker with a seven-piece microphone array. The device responds to the name “Alexa.” It retails for around $179 and there are now a few different models that retail for less. The Amazon Dot is one example of this.
What Does the Amazon Echo Do?
According to the Amazon site, the Echo can:
- Play music from just about any music app
- Answer questions
- Read audio books
- Report the news, traffic, and weather
- Give sports scores
- Control household appliances like lights and thermostats
All of those features and functions are super-useful. It provides 360-degree audio and can pick up your voice and command or question from across the room, even if you’re listening to music or watching television. But what can you do with it that’s fun?
7 Fun Things to do with Amazon Echo
- Order Pizza. The Dominos app was recently added, and, as more apps are added, you’ll be able to order a variety of different foods.
- Set a Workout Timer. Do you workout at home? If you do, or if you need a timer for any other reason, simply ask Alexa to set it for you and tell it/her when you want the notification that time is up.
- Learn a New Language. Ask Alexa how to say things in a number of different languages. Want to learn Italian or Spanish? Learn with your Echo.
- Yep, you can ask Alexa to order, or reorder, items that you purchase from Amazon. For example, you run out of fish food, you can ask Alexa to order more.
- Play Games. The Echo is capable of playing a large number of games, ranging from Bingo to word games and more.
- Send an email or text. If you have your Echo set up with your Amazon account, there are apps that you can use to send emails and text messages right from your Echo.
- You can ask it ridiculous questions and see what it says. MentalFloss.com has a fun list of audio clips where Alexa is answering questions. You can check it out here; http://mentalfloss.com/article/75822/39-fun-questions-ask-amazon-echo, or create your own questions and see what happens.
The Amazon Echo is a useful new tech gadget that can also be a lot of fun. Nobody knows what the future holds for it. However, it’s quite possible that this type of technology could become as commonplace, and as useful, as a fitness tracker.
Do you have the Amazon Echo yet? If so, what are some things you like to do with your Echo?